An exciting new football opportunity for girls aged 5 to 11 years…
‘Wildcats’ is a nationwide initiative from the Football Association that’s designed to make football more accessible for girls aged from 5 to 11 years old. It is available locally from Horsham Sparrows FC, the town’s only club with all girl teams and founding member of the Sussex County Women and Girls Football league.
Training sessions summer 2018
Horsham Sparrows FC is please to confirm we have been appointed as an official Wildcats centre for the second year and will be running more sessions over the summer. These will be run on Saturday mornings and the onus will be on providing training sessions that are great fun and engaging for all the girls regardless of age or ability. They will be run by qualified and CRC checked volunteer coaches and each session will be 1 hour in duration.
- Start date: Saturday 21st April 2018 (from 10.00am -11.00am) then every week thereafter
- Location: Horsham Park opposite the North Parade Car park (look out for a blue & white striped gazebo)
- Cost: £2.00 per session (The first one is free)
- Participants: For girls aged 5 to 11 years
- What to wear – comfortable sports wear or football kit. Trainers or football boots. Please ensure shin pads are worn
- Saturday 21st July – Session from 10.00am -11.00am
- Saturday 28th July – Session from 10.00am-11.00am
- Saturday 4th August – NO SESSION (due to coach availability)
- Saturday 11th August – NO SESSION (due to coach availability)
- Saturday 18th August – Session from 10.00am -11.00am
- Saturday 25th August – This will be the last session and will start at 10.00am but may run over time as there will be presentations at the end
- Player code of conduct: [click here] to view
- Parents guide: [click here] to view
- Safeguarding guidance: [click here] to view
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I sign up?
You’re free to come along on the day but we would ask that you advise us so we can plan the sessions around expected numbers. Please either:
- Send a confirmation email including your daughter’s name and your contact details.
- Complete and return the consent form [download here] – This will save you the time of completing it on the day.
My daughter hasn’t played football before – can she still attend?
Yes – The sessions are designed to introduce girls to football regardless of their experience. There will be activities that suit participants with varying football experience and we anticipate girls attending who play regularly to those who are complete beginners…everyone’s welcome.
How many sessions will there be?
There will be 16 sessions in all and we plan to run them on each Saturday morning (bar 12th May which is the club’s annual end of season fun day – which is free for anyone to attend).
What will be taught in the sessions?
We will plan the sessions to include all aspects of football from warming up to playing mini games. There will be sessions focusing on ball skills, passing, running with the ball as well as some of the more technical aspect such as goalkeeping and throw-ins.
Will I have to sign up to anything?
We will be following the FA’s guidelines which means completing a consent form as described above. There will also be a register to sign the player in and out of each session.
Can my daughter join if she missed the first session?
Yes – we understand that due to other commitments, not all of the participants will be able to attend each session. We also anticipate the numbers to grow as word of mouth helps to promote the sessions. If your daughter enjoys the first sessions…encourage her to tell her friends!
Who runs the sessions?
The sessions will be delivered by FA qualified Coaches with CRC checks and child safeguarding credentials in place and on occasion, will be assisted by players from the club’s older youth teams (who already have experience helping younger teams).
All coaches and club officials will be there to ensure the participants enjoy the football activities in a fun and safe environment and will be on hand to answer any questions you may have.
What happens after the last session?
Horsham Sparrows FC currently has 6 female teams and each year we form a new U11s team that plays in a league. This is for players aged 9 and 10 on or before 1st September 2018. However, the success of this is bound by the amount of players wanting to sign up and just as importantly, volunteers stepping forward to help run the team. We may also consider an under 10s team if demand is there.
How can I help?
Horsham Sparrows FC is run entirely by volunteers and each team requires coaches and administrators. It can be hugely rewarding getting involved in youth football and we offer support and training for all our volunteers – Ask one of the coaching team for more details.
Sparrows day session gallery…